Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Philosopher King

Today's quote comes from Plato in his book the Republic.

"And so we see that it is the Philosopher who should rule, as of all men only he has no desire to..."

It has been said that those who crave power are unfit to have it and those that are fit do not want it, of course a Philosopher ruling is only one part of Plato's ideal government. His main point is that individuals should do what they do best according to their class in society. By doing this, Plato argued, ones soul would be content as long as they stayed within their class and did what their class does best. I must admit that having ones class decided for them intrigues me, it could be very nice to not have to worry about what I'm going to grow up to do, but at the same time choice in what one will do with ones life is such a cornerstone of our society that I would be somewhat afraid to such drastically change our society as I fear what may come out.

Also there are plenty of Philosophers I wouldn't want as a Philosopher King and how do I know they wouldn't be making the rules?

So I guess while a Philosopher King is something fun to talk about with some more philosophically minded friends and I personally have written a short story about it I think we're doing okay with the government we have now and maybe we should work on fixing it before we start looking for a new one.

No comments: