Thursday, April 1, 2010

Tina Fey and Sarah Palin

Today’s quote comes from master science fiction writer Isaac Asimov.

“Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments.”

I’ve always been a big fan of political commentary done for humor. During the 2008 election much of my news came from SNL, The Daily Show, and The Colbert Report. In 2008 during an interview with Charles Gibson VP candidate Sarah Palin was asked about her insight into Russia she answered “They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska. During an SNL sketch after this interview Tina Fey as Sarah Palin said “I can see Russia from my house.” In 2009 while discussing politics with a friend who is pretty savvy about politics and current events I said that SNL has a lot of sway over popular beliefs and I referenced Tina Fey saying I can see Russia from my house. This friend dead serious swore to me that he had seen the Charles Gibson interview and that Sarah Palin had said that.

No comments: